Monday, July 24, 2006

Hint from Henderson

I feel a bit like Heloise right now...

Dear Hints from Henderson,
I love fresh corn on the cob, but hate pulling the silky things off of it before I boil it. Do you have any suggestions for getting it off easier?
From, Love Corn but Hates Silk

Dear Love and Hate,
Glad you asked! Next time you go to the Farmers Market for that corn, don't bring it home and immediately start "shucking" it. Put it in the microwave instead! Yes, that's right. Put the fresh corn on the cob in the microwave (shucks and all) and cook it for 3 minutes per cob. Once the time is up, take the corn out and peel away the layers and silk and enjoy some hot corn. The silks don't even stick to the corn! Be careful though, it's a little hot, so don't burn your hands. No more boiling pots of water and digging out those pesky silks from the corn. Enjoy!!!!


Just thought I would pass on a little tip that I have found extremely helpful this summer!

9 comments:

Tesney said...

It also works to put it on the grill, husks and all, and cook it. The stringy mess slides right off! thanks for the microwave tip!

Heather said...

Great tip! I love anything I can zap in my microwave. One of my favorite inventions is the Tupperware microwave steamer that someone gave us for a wedding gift. We do almost all of our veggies in there, asparagus, broccoli, and even corn on the cob! You can cook chicken in it according to the manual, but I'm not sure about nuked chicken. It's fabulous for vegetables though!!

Kristen OQ said...

I bought some corn last night to cook this week...yummy! Thanks for the tip!

Tesney said...

BTW, I got the mobile you suggested and Clayton loves it! And I've lost 4 lbs on WW! HOORAY!

Dallas said...

Tesney, Congratulations! I think I have lost about 4 also...hopefully the rest of it will come off as easy. I'm so glad he loves the mobile, it really can be a lifesaver at times! Keep me updated on your WW success and I will do the same for you. We are going to the beach next week and I don't know how possible it will be for us to eat within my points range, I guess I will just have to improvise.

Tesney said...

The flex points definitely save me. I just try to save all of my flex points for the weekend so I can eat out and not worry so much about it. We eat Mexican most Sundays after church and I blow most of them then. I've also been eating chocolate ice cream a lot (Edy's Light Double Fudge Brownie--it's only 4 points for 1/2 cup) so I really don't feel like I'm on a diet at all.

James E. Miller said...

Are you doing WW? I just started back recently. I've lost 5 so far. It has been harder lately since we've had family in town and Laura had her 2nd birthday...hence the birthday cake!!! Pass on any tips.

Congrats on your jobs! Sounds great. I'm working 3 mornings starting in August. That will be a HUGE change for me...but as you said in one of your posts...one salary is difficult to live in.

Talk to ya later!
Sara

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

haha! im impressed. I dont think ive ever shucked corn a day in my life...it sure would be good, though!

Kristen OQ said...

We made corn tonight on the grill...yummy. I bought extra, so tomorrow night may be in the microwave per your suggestion!

Thanks for the tip!

Related Posts with Thumbnails