Thursday, November 20, 2008

8 o'clock

I've decided that my favorite time of day is 8 o'clock.

Both 'am' and 'pm'.

At 8:00am, I am usually sitting at the table with my girls, enjoying breakfast. None of us are huge "let's talk about how well we slept and how excited we are to start our day" people. We're mostly, "What do you want for breakfast?";"Mama, I need a napkin";"silence".

It's a quiet affair and takes a good 20-30 minutes to get really warmed up. And that's how I love it.

I love that time because both girls still have that sweet baby sleepiness all over their faces. I have already snuggled with both, straight out of the bed. Both are content to just sit in their chairs while wearing their pajamas, drink their milk, and chomp on their cereal.

It would only be made more perfect if their daddy could join us.

After breakfast, we are on the go ALL DAY LONG. It doesn't matter if we are actually going somewhere or we are just staying at home, we are ON THE GO.

There is lots of disciplining, lots of whining, lots of playing, lots of hugs, lots of not sharing, lots of movement, lots of fun.

Even during nap time, the movement doesn't end because I am usually still in motion.

By the time 8:00pm finally rolls around, both girls are back in their pajamas and tucked snuggly in their beds.

This is also my favorite time because of the silence. Ahhh, the silence.

And the company.

This is the time of day that Matthew and I finally have alone together. Oh sure, we don't spend the next three hours sitting side by side on the couch, staring into each other's eyes telling every moment of our day. Lately he has been in the kitchen doing homework and I have been on the couch, watching tv or sewing. But, to have that time of day when I know it will just be us, that is enough.

8 o'clock. It's a great time of day.

Right now, anyway.

I know in a few years this will change. My children will get older and our priorities will shift. I wonder what my favorite time of day will be then.

I hope it is the same, in a sense.

When I am with those I love, at the most precious moments, that will be my most favorite time of day.

What's your favorite?

post signature

5 comments:

Whitney said...

I'd have to agree with you on 8- and for the same reasons! Great post!

Unknown said...

I'd say 9-10pm. The only time of the day where I can reflect and spend time alone, either in prayer or in silence. Ah sweet silence!

Sara said...

8:00 p.m...yes the silence is wonderful. And on Thursday there is good t.v.!

The Rickard 5 said...

Oh so sweet! I really miss those days, when the kids were home and we weren't rushed all of the time. I like 8AM, because, I have just dropped off the kids and I am alone in my car, listening to my music, and sipping my Sonic drink. No one wants anything, forgot anything, or is fussing with anyone else.
I LOVE my family, but I cherish those fifteen minutes that give me sanity to face the world!

The Laird's said...

That is so funny, just yesterday we had this discussion, and I had the same favorite times for the same reasons!

Related Posts with Thumbnails