Saturday, November 15, 2008

A bubblin' over

Earlier this week, I was unloading the dishwasher.

Which is a never-ending job, can I get an Amen?

As I finished unloading, I thought the dishwasher looked a little dingy inside. You know, not "sparkling clean, straight from the showroom" feel. Although with the quality dishwasher we have, I doubt it ever had the "sparkly" effect. It's one of those "okay, we're throwing up these houses in a neighborhood and they all pretty much look the same, so let's get the cheapest appliances that are available and put them in the cookie cutter houses" kind of dishwashers. But, hey, it works and our dishes are at least sparkling.

So, because I'm a genius, I pulled the Clorox out of the laundry room and poured some into the bottom of the dishwasher. Because, you know, Clorox cleans things. And makes them sparkly.
This is what a saw when I came back to the kitchen about 20 minutes later...

I imagined my house full of bubbles, with me swimming towards the door, yelling, "I just wanted a clean dishwasher!"
I stood guard while the cycle finished to make sure my small children didn't see the "fun" bubbles and start playing in them like they were in the bathtub.
Good news is that the bubbles never got much worse.
Bad news, most of my kitchen towels now have bleach stains on them.
Oh, and my dishwasher looks EXACTLY the same.

post signature

8 comments:

shack said...

Hey Dallas! Don't know if you remember me or not from HU, Wendy Shack here! I love reading your blog and feel bad that I have followed it for a loooong while...so here's a delurking HELLO! I had to comment on the Bubbling Issue...I have had this happen to me due to too much dishwasher soap. I thought more soap would make cleaner dishes....wrong! I ended up paying some plumber lots of money to save my hardwood floors, and to tell me the thing to stop the bubbles in a jiffy....Vegetable Oil! Go figure! Just another safety item to have in hand for days like this! I hope your floors sparkle as much as your dishwasher. Thanks for a good chuckle, been there sister! Happy Fall to your beautiful family!
Love, Wendy Shackelford Leonard

Marty Rhea Hill said...

Ha, now that is funny. I can totally see you coming back in the kitchen. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Once when I was in high school I was babysitting and the mom was out of dishwashing detergent. I found some dish soap on the counter and thought hey "dish", "soap"...that sounds right. Yeah, you know what happened next. I spent HOURS cleaning up bubbles. Luckily she came home late.

At least your dishwasher is sanitary...

Julie said...

thanks for the heads up- i will be sure not to try that:)

April said...

You are too funny! Thanks for the laugh. Sorry it didn't work for you. :)

Kristy said...

Hi! I was surfing around and found your blog on Lane's. I love it! Your girls are precious!! I have 2 little girls, too, so I can relate to some of the stories!

The dishwasher thing was funny... my hubby sells appliances and allegedly you can put Tang (do they still make it??) in there and run a normal cycle. The citric acid in the Tang will make it sparkly again. =)

Kim said...

Hilarious! I was thinking, great idea, gotta do that. Until I saw the bubbles.

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

hahaha! I was just thinking, wow! WHAT A GREAT IDEA! and then I got to the end of the story. when we were little, we were trying to help my mom clean up the house, so we decided to put the dawn in the dishwasher. we didn't know there were two diff. types of dishwashing detergents. good story. needless to say, the kitchen, a mere ten minutes later, looked like a scene from a movie. my mom was not so happy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails