Monday, August 01, 2011

First day of school!

It has begun…school!!!!!

IMG_1726_edited-1

I cannot believe that Nora started kindergarten today!  It seems like we were just meeting her in the hospital! 

We went to her orientation last week, to meet her teacher and see her classroom…I cried on that day and couldn’t believe it.  I really didn’t think I would be so emotional.

I didn’t cry this morning at drop off but waited until we got back in the car. It really hit me that I wouldn’t be with her all day…for the rest of her life.  Sigh.

Here are some pictures of our morning.  I’ll add more when I download them off my phone.

Sassy girl…

IMG_0137

I wish I could insert pictures here of our special breakfast and stellar devotional time BUT we, all 5, had to be in the car and heading down the road by 6:50 and I didn’t even have time to eat breakfast…I’m not sure what everyone else had.

Walking into the school building…

IMG_0138

Standing in front of the building

IMG_0140_edited-1

Guess who?  It’s GIBSON!!!!!  What a blessing that Nora and Gibson are going to the same school!  I pray that these sweet girls always have a special bond!

IMG_0141

How did this poodle and lobster (along with John David the octopus) go from these babies to…

IMG_1476

These big girls looking at an iPhone…sniff, sniff!

IMG_0145

Walking with daddy and Rives to her classroom…it was a bit like a red carpet event with all the parents taking pictures and video.

IMG_0148

Finding her cubby to hang up her backpack…

IMG_0149

First one at her table…

IMG_0151

One last picture before we left our baby (and who was in charge of Elyn’s hair?  Sigh.  I can only do so much…at least she’s not in her pajamas!)

IMG_0154_edited-1

Up until this point, I was holding it together quite nicely.  No tears from this mama!  Then I got in the car and realized that she was about to experience so much that I might not ever know about.  I was no longer there to protect her and watch over her.  I cried then.

To ease Elyn (and me) into her first day without her BFF, we went to Krispy Kreme…it helped brighten her morning.

IMG_1733

IMG_0155

Rives enjoyed his first visit…the girl behind the counter even offered him a “hot now” donut-and she was serious.  Really?  He’s 2.5 months old…we like to wait until they are 3 months old to start introducing the “donut food group”.

IMG_0156

IMG_1734

We spent the day without Nora moving Matthew’s stuff from his old school over to his new school…good times.

We got to Nora’s school about 2 minutes after school was supposed to let out, anticipating a super long car rider line and thinking we could beat the traffic and drive right up to collect Nora.  We were wrong.  We waited in the line for 35 minutes before she got in our car.

IMG_1737

Thirty. Five. Minutes.

Worth the wait though…

Coming to the car-

IMG_0158IMG_0160

We went out for “first day of school” ice cream.  Thankfully it was about 104 degrees here today-perfect for excuse for ice cream (and a heat stroke).

IMG_0162

We ate with two of her kindergarten buddies, Alex and Sterling.

IMG_0163

It was a great first day for Nora.  We pumped her for info (of course) and she was happy to tell all about the day.  She liked her class and all the activities they did today.  She has already requested that I not walk her in to school tomorrow morning (sorry, I am going to baby) and that she can buy her lunch from the cafeteria (we decided one time a week she can buy).  As I type this, Matthew is reading the girls a story and about to put them in bed…and it’s not even 7:30!  Welcome back to the real world!

5 comments:

Kristen OQ said...

A big day at your house! So excited for Nora...she is going to love school! And just get ready for when Elyn goes...I was so much sadder when Seth went last year than I even was when Sam went! Hope day 2 is just as successful!

Notsopc said...

Oh tears.. I remember my little girl going to kindergarten. She is now a mommy of three boys and one little foster baby.. Hold her close. they grow up way to fast.. Oh yeah she just turned 30.. It really did take some time to get there so don't think tomorrow you'll wake up and she'll be 10..

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Can I just say that your daughter is adorable??? My 2nd child is going to Kindergarten in a couple of weeks and this post did NOT HELP my growing issues with this situation!!!!!!!

(*sniff*)

Sara said...

Glad the first day was successful for Nora! I think I am more sad about Laura starting 1st grade this year...I am sure there will be tears for me.

Hope the adjustment is smooth!

Deborah said...

Oh, girl...nothing like taking that first one to kindergarten! She looks so happy and adjusted, though. It appears her momma and daddy did a great job preparing her!

Related Posts with Thumbnails